
When i first saw the advert for this movie, i was super excited. I just got to watch it! And thanks to Jee, i got company to watch it!
Having studied abt the history of South Africa and the troubled times they went through, while watching the movie, i just felt this indescribable feeling. It was a great feeling to see how the country became united. Something which wasn't covered in my lessons, which only stopped at the ending of the aparthied and that the country and the people were still finding ways to heal.
One day, and it is now my wish since those soci lessons back in US, i would really want to visit South Africa. To visit the museums that have been set up to educate ppl abt the aparthied and how the ppl have since moved on; to visit Mandela's cell on Robben island; to stand in awe of Table Mountain (which i got to see in the movie!), and to experience the culture there. The Rainbow Nation.
My favourite quotes from the movie:
Nelson Mandela: "I thank whatever gods may be / For my unconquerable soul. / I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul."
Francois Pienaar: "I was thinking how a man could spend thirty years in prison, and come out and forgive the men who did it to him..."
The Poem: Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
0 comments:
Post a Comment